walk with me strong

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Life in a New Place

Since my last post, a few things have changed...

Ed and I had a wonderful Christmas at home with my family in Indiana. We had time to visit with family and friends, as well as get some much needed rest. Prior to leaving for Christmas, I worked my last week at Duke, where it was harder to say goodbye than I had initially thought it would be. I had found a home at Duke over the past couple of years, and I didn't want to say goodbye to the many coworkers that I had grown close to...

Upon our return to Raleigh, we packed up the house and moved down to Charleston, South Carolina, a relocation that we've known about for months but has finally taken place. Because we are relocating for his job, Ed's company provided movers, which I would recommend to anyone!! They packed up all of our stuff into a big truck, drove it down to SC, then carried everything up to the third floor of our new apartment building. Thanks to Ed's parents, we had almost everything unpacked that weekend. The transition to an apartment from a house on three acres has not been as difficult as I had imagined, mostly because we enjoy living so close to town! We are less than five minutes from the gym and the grocery store, ten minutes from Ed's office, and two minutes from my new place of employment!

It has taken a lot of time and patience, but I am finally employed! I interviewed at a couple of hospitals the first week we were here, but things move very slowly here in our new southern homeland, so I have only recently found out that I was selected for a great job, hopefully worth the wait. I will be doing something new, working in the recovery room... so as of February 4th, I will be learning and experiencing a new area of nursing! I really wanted this particular job, as it seems to be a nice working environment with a dream schedule, so I was surprised and excited when I found out that I had been chosen!

God is teaching me again about patience, as I will have been unemployed for about six weeks... I have never had so much free time on my hands, and after moving, I have gone from being super busy with no time to spare, to now being bored with more time to spare than I know what to do with! I am trying to enjoy all the downtime, but I will be relieved when I have a job to attend every day!

Ed and I are doing very well here - we have found a great gym and what will hopefully turn out to be a church that we can call home. Ed is enjoying his job, as he takes on more responsibility with new projects. The weather is great, and we're spending time exploring downtown - we ran a 5K last weekend along the battery, which is the historic area of homes overlooking the harbor. We are looking forward to our future here, hopefully what will become our new place to call home.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Glad to see a new post - and congratulations once again on your new job!
    .
    Love ya, Mom

     
  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Leela said…

    wow, I am excited you have found a new job. It must be very exciting to learn a new area. Good Luck with all, I can't beleive you found the time to run in a 5K already. you are simply amazing! Learn any new southern recipes? They don't have to be super healthy....just yummy...you know for a splurge. Glad to hear all is well.

     
  • At 8:24 AM, Blogger Shannon Blosser said…

    I'm still jealous you're living in Charleston, S.C., while I'm in Mayberry.

    Honestly, I'm glad to see you're doing well. Tell Ed that I said Pitt is mean and evil;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home